Chapter 2

The Mammouth Springs Lodge location was at a large spring with very large volume of water at the creek at the foot of the hill in Mt. Peak. The Masonic Lodge No. 478 was at the top of the hill on the left going west, upstairs over a community church and meeting place. A steam operated gin was located near the spring for water and steam. The spring started failing in the 1930's and by the early 1940's was inadequate to supply water for the gin and it closed.

The lodge had always been upstairs over the church and community center at the top of the hill and according to courthouse records the lodge changed its name to Mt. Peak Lodge in 1893. The lodge went by both names with the same number 478 for ten or fifteen years. This is the lodge which loaned A.D. Witherspoon fifteen dollars to pay for the Midlothian Lodge charter in 1884. It is noted that there were many family and property connections between Midlothian and Mt. Peak.

In the 1930's when Mt. Peak Lodge demised most of the active members affiliated with the Midlothian Lodge.

We sat in lodge with many of the members from Mt. Peak in the 1940's and know many descendents of them. Most of the founders were deceased.

Brothers Dave Smith, W.H. Forbes, A.B. Forbes, J.A. Orr, T.J. Dorsett, E..B. Hollabough, Pink Burks, A.J. Burks, R.W. Dillard, M.K. Forbes, H.H. Anderson, W.H. Robinett, J.M. Stevens, and Brother W.S. Kizziah who helped organize and install the first officers of the Midlothian Lodge on 31 January 1885. Most of the older brothers who had been regular visitors of the Midlothian Lodge, had passed on when Mt. Peak Lodge demised, but on register they always signed as Mammouth Springs Lodge No. 478.

Many of their descendents helped make the Midlothian Lodge strong. According to old records our lodge has always been one of the strongest, best attended and knowledgeable in esoteric work lodges in our area.

Midlothian Lodge still carries the tradition of knowing the work. There are several current certificates in membership, and Milton Pegram and E.L. Webb have life certificates.


Stated Meeting 31 August 1895 - After regular business Worshipful Master W.J. Rhodes appointed Brother Wm. Finley, Ed Lowe, and P.P. Henson to a finance committee and discharged the old committee. It was then ordered by the Worshipful Master that the secretary read the by-laws aloud to the lodge. After which it was moved and seconded that the rent to Brother Kimmel and account to W. A. Brundage be paid and a draft be drawn for same, sustained.

Stated Meeting 31 December 1895 - After regular business, motion and second that all bills be allowed or paid, sustained. It was moved and seconded that a committee of two be appointed to try to find a suitable lot to build a new lodge hall and report at the next meeting, sustained. Many members disliked J.C. Kimmel.


Stated Meeting 25 January 1896 - The minutes show the finance committee reported and recommended that the lodge consider Mr. Cornwell's lot to build on. It was moved and seconded that the lodge not buy the lot from Mr. Cornwell, sustained. These brothers could not seem to agree on anything about property, probably because they didn't have any money.

Stated Meeting 23 February 1896 - Brother W.H. Price passed his E.A. examination and was passed to the degree of Fellowcraft.

Stated Meeting 28 March 1896 - After being examined on proficiency in fellowcraft the lodge proceeded to raise Brother W.H. Price to the sublime degree of a Master Mason.

Be it noted here that W.H. Price was considered the top master builder in Midlothian's past. He built the Presbyterian Church, the Chuck Walton house, the Victorian home of E.L. Webb in 1901, Bessie Eden's Victorian home, several brick buildings downtown, and after the 1893 fire that destroyed most of the wooden buildings downtown. He also built the brick home on Mt. Peak Road past the cemetery, W.L. Stevenson's home and many others. He was very active in Masonry until he died in the late 1950's. He also handmade the alter, officers station, benches and matching chairs, the two fellowcraft column bases, the arch and letter in the East. If you look closely, all of this furniture matches and is a priceless heirloom for our lodge. He handmade it with handsaws and hand carpenter tools in 1924. He made every component of a house or building that he built. The doors, windows, staircases, all ornamental work, Victorian trim outside, fireplace mantles, staircase ornamentation, even some features such as china cabinets.

Called Meeting 3 April 1896 was called to pay last respects to Brother W.J. Rhodes the Worshipful Master. The Mansfield Lodge No. 331 was called to assist in Masonic Burial of the beloved and faithful brother.